GOODNESS OF YOGURT & CHICKPEAS: Healthy Pregnancy Diet
Pregnancy is a time when you tend to gain weight. Chickpeas are a good way to check obesity and stay in good health. Chickpeas reduce risks of heart attack. Legumes and other chickpeas are a good choice for heart as well as the waistline. Chickpeas offer a boost to your energy levels during pregnancy.
Your nutritional requirements increase during pregnancy as you are eating not for yourself anymore. Your body requires higher amounts of protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber. A cup of chickpeas contains 12gm of dietary fiber and 15 grams protein. It is a rich source of iron and vitamin B6 that is highly essential for the growing fetus.
Idea for Healthy Pregnancy Diet
Chickpeas are essential for brain and nerve developments. A cup of chickpeas contains 65% of your daily manganese requirement during pregnancy.
Manganese is very essential to meet the growing needs of the unborn baby. Manganese aids skeletal development in babies. Click To TweetCopper, zinc and selenium are some of the minerals that are often neglected in discussions on nutrition. These are natural antioxidants that play crucial role in ensuring safety of your baby and protects her from damages caused by free radicals. Antioxidants help prevent several diseases and play a major role in healthy pregnancies.
Whole milk yogurt contributes a silky, creamy texture to this mild vegetarian stew from India. Serve Chickpea Curry with steamed or sautéed spinach and Indian bread. Replicate naan, the Indian flatbread, by cooking flour tortillas in a grill pan or cast-iron skillet until blackened in spots. The cinnamon sticks and bay leaves are removed before the dish is served, but the cardamom pods are more difficult to fish out. Be careful as you eat not to bite into one.
CHICK PEA CURRY WITH YOGURT
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil / vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped plum tomato (about 1 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 or 3 cups of boiled chick peas
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin, coriander, cardamom, bay leaves, and cinnamon sticks; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add onion, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ginger and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in garam masala, and cook 10 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup water, tomato, salt, and chickpeas; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Stir in yogurt and cilantro.
Calories from fat 28 %
Fat 8.2 g
Sat fat 1.7 g
Mono fat 3.1 g
Poly fat 2.9 g
Protein 10.2 g
Carbohydrate 38.9 g
Fiber 8.6 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Iron 3.8 mg
Sodium 579 mg
Calcium 173 mg
Do share with us your ideas of yogurt & chickpeas recipes. Our readers will be delighted to know more!