Why should you eat Banana during Pregnancy ?
You doctor must have advised you to eat banana during pregnancy as good source of calcium and potassium.
There are certain parts in India & other countries where eating banana during pregnancy is still skeptical and not considered safe. Reason? yes it’s a myth that banana can cause problems with natural vaginal birth. Again, it’s totally a fable you really don’t need to believe.
So many research has proven benefits associated with eating banana during pregnancy without much of side effects if taken in moderation. Let’s say at least eating banana once a day, keep you & your baby healthy!
So let me come to the real point and show you these 11 most important benefits of eating banana during pregnancy.
1. Very Good Source Of Calcium:
It is common knowledge that calcium is essential for the development of bones and skeleton system in kids as well as adults.
- This miraculous fruit called banana is a rich source of calcium.
- Thus, it is a must for healthy bone development of your growing baby and therefore you should regularly consume it.
2. Great source of iron:
One of the common prenatal issues is anemia, which may result in complications during later stages of pregnancy and even during childbirth.
- This can be overcome by regular intake of diet rich in iron and iron rich fruits and vegetables.
- Banana is one of the great sources of iron which every woman should consume. Doing so will accelerate iron in body, by producing hemoglobin and reducing anemic symptoms. This also result in higher levels of energy throughout nine months.
3. Blood Pressure Stabilizer:
Blood pressure fluctuation is a yet another issue for pregnant women. Maintaining blood pressure naturally through a healthy diet is the best way to curb unnecessary tension and anxiety.
- Since banana is a rich source of Potassium therefore it helps in maintaining blood pressure of the expecting mother during the course of pregnancy.
- Also, potassium helps in reducing those muscle cramps and leg pains during pregnancy.
4. Rich source of Folic Acid:
Folic acid is essential for the development of nerves, brain, spinal cord of your growing fetus.
- This deficiency can cause premature births or child born with a disability.
- Banana contains Folic acid which can be easily absorbed by your developing baby from your body.
5. Helps Fighting Constipation:
Constipation becomes all the more problematic for a pregnant lady, who struggle for a regulated gastrointestinal symptom while pregnant.
- To naturally reduce constipation, stomach bloating and ensure smooth bowel movement without taking much supplements, pregnant women should increase the intake of banana in their diet.
- This is essential as banana contains fibers which enable smooth bowel movement and easy movement of stools from your body resulting in less pressure on your uterine muscles.
6. Protein For Weight gain & Growth:
Protein is often associated with growth and bananas are a rich source of protein as well.
- Vegetarians need to find ways to improve their protein intake. By regularly eating bananas during pregnancy along with chickpeas and lentils, you are on the right track for protein needs.
- Having a banana is a best pre exercise snack, as you don’t want to exercise on an empty stomach.
7. Works as Energy Booster:
Nothing can beat banana in providing instant energy & boosting your mood! Banana combined with a glass of milk is considered as a full meal.
- A banana contains all the 3 natural sugars viz. glucose, fructose and sucrose which act as an energy source for all age groups.
- Thus, it is extremely necessary for pregnant women to eat bananas daily for energy requirements.
8. Maintains Blood Sugar And Cholesterol under control:
It is very important to maintain correct levels of blood sugar and cholesterol during pregnancy.
- This is especially important if you have Gestational Diabetes.
- Banana can help you avoid this crucial problem, if you consume it regularly during your pregnancy.
9. Boosts Blood Cell Growth with B6:
Bananas during pregnancy provide a good source of vitamin B6.
- Vitamin B6 acts as a neurotransmitter.
- It also boosts up the growth of Red Blood Cells in your body.
10. Natural Remedy for Stress:
Not many people know this quality of this fruit that it’s a natural stress buster!
- Yes, the banana kept in your fruit basket can help you reduce anxiety and stress.
11. Stops frequent Hunger:
Banana is full of the good kind of carbs! It is very filling substitute, so choose it over a bag of chips or chocolates.
- You can eat banana to stop bingeing between meals, as it acts as a full meal in itself.
- Thus, it reduces those hunger needs that you might feel after every few hours.
So what are you waiting for? Just eat one, relish the taste and make it work for you & your baby. Now, let’s move on to some yummy & healthy banana recipe which you will surely love!
Do you know that green bananas can also be yummy and healthy during pregnancy? It is even good for baby’s health too. Eating banana during pregnancy is surely beneficial for you and baby in so many ways. If eating raw banana gets boring for you, try this delicious recipe. It takes just about 15 mins to prepare.
Image Credits: Todd Kulesza
Let’s make a tasteful still full of nutritious dish from green bananas.
GREEN BANANA FOOGATH
- 2 raw bananas, (lightly peeled and cubed and kept immersed in water)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarson)
- 1 tsp split Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 1 tsp split black gram urad dal
- 1 dried red chilli
- Pinch of turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadhi patta)
- 2 tbsp grated coconut (nariyal)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Bring a pan of water to boil and put the raw banana pieces in it with a pinch of turmeric.
- Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes till the banana pieces are slightly tender but not mushy.
- Take a non-stick pan and heat the oil in it.
- Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the red chilli, chana dal and urad dal.
- Sauté for 1 minute add curry leaves and then turmeric powder.
- Fry well for about 1 minute, add the cooked raw banana pieces and salt to taste.
- Cover the pan with a lid and steam cook for about 5 minutes until banana is cooked and no visible liquid remains.
- Stir gently in between and sprinkle a bit of water if needed.
- When done, add the grated coconut. Remove from the flame after one minute and serve.
Rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, protein and dietary fiber this recipe is surely yummy & nutrition power house for you & your baby.
BENEFITS OF THE DISH
The green banana is high in potassium. 1-cup serving of boiled green bananas contains 531 of potassium. Including more high-potassium foods in your diet aids in blood pressure control. Green bananas are also high in vitamin B-6, with a 1-cup boiled serving containing 39 percent of your daily value. Vitamin B-6 plays an important role in more than 100 enzymatic reactions in your body. It is also necessary for the formation of hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen in your body. Additionally, vitamin B-6 aids in blood sugar control.You don't have to eat less, you just have to eat right. Click To Tweet