Five Tips for a Safe and Natural Birth
The day I came to know about my twin pregnancy, I was full of excitement as well as anxiety; Sense of wonder and sense of fear; feeling happy and feeling little scared about the day of delivery. The most frequent thought that came to my mind through out the pregnancy time was how will I be at the time of birthing ? Will I be able to handle the pressure of the whole process? Is it just me who thinks too much about delivery? C-Section or natural? Can I trust my doctor’s final decision? Will I be allowed to be part of my babies’ birthing process? Will my husband be part of the delivery with me? and so on………Based on my experience, I strongly suggest you to check out these five tips for safe and satisfying birth. Birthing is the most beautiful and most remembered event in the life of any woman. You have the right to know & take control of this process in your hands. Understand that 'Pregnancy is not a disease, its a natural course of life; to bring life on the earth.' Click To Tweet
Let’s find out how you can take charge of your birthing options & aim for giving natural birth.
1. Know & Trust your body:
- Every female body is made and prepared to give natural birth. If we go back in the history, we find the proof for this statement.
- Tension, fatigue, tired and tensed muscles contribute to hurt & pain during the labor. In general, the more you can relax, the less it will hurt.
- You need to use mind body technique to think more about a positive, relaxed birth and let go off any previous bad birth memory.
- It is normal to be little fearful for the birth if this is your first baby but prolonged and constant fear about birth can interfere with how your body works during labor.
- Keeping full confidence and readiness for birth will surely enhance your chances of safe and satisfying birth.
- You can surely prepare a list of emergency situations, your medical history, support required from doctor, prenatal tests etc for well informed and well managed birthing. But fearing too much can cause negative effects on your labor and delivery period.
2. Use Pregnancy to Prepare your self
- It is really advantageous that pregnancy lasts for full long nine months. For such a big life changing event, you get quite a good amount of time to prepare yourself physically and emotionally for most of the things during pregnancy.
- Preparing yourself doesn’t mean you search all the available information on each and every book and website available for pregnancy or join the 6 week child birth class or read some hand outs and know some exercise or breathing techniques. It’s surely much more than that. You need to learn about all the available child birth options and selecting what best fits your situation & your body. Going for birth with fully planned philosophy in mind and keeping flexibility based on the situation will surely help with safe and satisfying birth experience.
- Process of getting to know about different birth options can help you understand your body, your fears, your strength, your comfort zone and preparedness which directly affect the birth.
3. Choose your Birth Place and Care provider wisely
- Unlike any medical treatment where doctor knows everything, labor & birth is a more informal relationship between doctor and patient.
- You are required to be better informed about your birthing choices, alternatives and freedom to choose when the right time arrives.
- You should be able to communicate all your pregnancy related fears and issues with your care provider. It is important to establish A frank relation.
- Choice of care provider and birth place depends on your previous birth experience, how medically equipped the facility is to handle complications, support staff, stay facilities, distance from your home in case of emergency, allowed visiting hours if you need help from other family and friends etc. So you need to consider all these factors in detail before selecting the doctor and place for birth.
- You also want to check the baby care facility at the birth place you are deciding upon for neo natal care, availability of pediatrician, other related emergency baby care services.
4. Understand ways to help your labor progress
- The most important factor based on which your doctor decides to go for C-Section is failure to progress the labor. Each labor has a unique pattern and progresses at different times. Click To Tweet Some takes hours and days and some withing few minutes. It is your reaction to it that plays a vital role. Fear, anxiety and tension halts the labor to continue smoothly.
- To birth is a mind and body’s collective action. In which, together with intense physical process, outcome is also dependent on positive emotions and mental attitude at the time of labor.
- Confidence and knowledge about birthing options and birthing process & how to work with your body in different scenarios will help progress your labor.
5. Know how to prevent C-Section – In most cases
- Every birth is different for every mother. Some of the most important factors determining the length and intensity of labor are Your own philosophy/perception of birthing and labor, your previous birth experience if any, your physical and mental preparedness for birth, the support and treatment options you receive at the birth and size & position of your baby.
- Of course there cannot be a single best way, to birth babies. But each mother can decide the best suitable way by relaxing, understanding the need of the body, positive attitude.
- You don’t have to remind your self from day 1 of the pregnancy to go for surgical birth in most cases. Your preparedness can change the final delivery experience for the better.
With proper Knowledge & Planning , you too can get a safe & natural birth experience, which can be a treasured experience of the life time.
These tips are more to inform you about your choices rather than recommendation for single best option. These Five tips for a safe and satisfying birth will surely make you ready for the event of a life time!! These Five tips for a safe and satisfying birth will surely make you ready for the event of a… Click To Tweet
for a Safe and Natural Birth
In and all, your birthing philosophy plays a vital role whether you choose and prepare your self for natural birth or more medical assisted birth. In either cases, learning to manage the pain and preparing to take well informed decisions will have long lasting impact on your birth experience. This non predicted yet wonderful experience is surely full of surprises & that’s the beauty of it.
What are you doing or did to aim for natural birth? I await to hear from you, your birthing stories and experience in comments below.